Thursday, April 12, 2018

    HOGWASH  ON WHITEWASH FROM  THE  BRAINWASHED

The  response of Watts' Fanbois to Fox News dissing LA's effort to reduce the Urban Heat Island effect with pale paving makes one wonder : have they ever sat down on the front seat of a car left in a sunny asphalt parking lot?

JCalvertN(UK)      
April 11, 2018 at 12:57 pm 

Well, we’ll see. But I suspect this action is based on an overly-simplistic concept of albedo. 

Asphalt and concrete pavements are hugely powerful heat-banks no matter what colour they are.



They’ll have to test to be sure the underside of the white paint layer doesn’t reflect IR radiation downward, making the painted street a greybody.


willhaas           April 10, 2018 at 11:25 pm 


Besides roadways they should paint all hard surfaces including roof tops and even solar panels... The real problem is ro reduce the emmisivity of the ocean that borders LA. For that problem they have no solution.
Ristvan       April 10, 2018 at 6:08 pm 

Not a durable,idea. The homeless urinating and defecating on them won’t keep the white, white. What to do?.. more white paint?
Earthling2           April 10, 2018 at 5:46 pm 
Hey, it made a difference in weather station white boxes, making a difference in whether Whitewash or Latex paint was used, and the small difference in measured temperatures after converting to the newer latex paint. 

In fact, this was in small part how the whole global warming hoax was ‘confirmed’ by casting a shadow on the actual temperature records. I still remember the day in 1992 when I got my first computer and the first sciencey article I downloaded (at 14.4 kbps) was about how some obscure meteorologist was making the claim that painting the weather station boxes with new latex paint changed the measured temperature slightly. That was the day I became a skeptic and started thinking for myself.

·       Peter Melia  April 10, 2018 at 6:06 pm 
I think it was Anthony. I too read the pieces and became an immediate WUWTist. Been so ever since. At that time I was visiting Panama regularly. Hot as hell.I told local people that things might improve if they painted their roofs white. As time passed, on my visits I noticed more and more white roofs as the plane landed. People there told me that it worked. Thank you Anthony.
Where’s all the titanium going to cone from for this TiO2 based paint? China? Russia?
Part of the rationale I guess is the photo-catalysed removal of some pollutants like nitrates from the air by the TiO2.
Note this same TiO2 was in the concrete that the Florida University bridge, for the same reason – “selfcleaning” and anti pollution. It also made the concrete weaker.